Thursday 11 August 2011

Sleek Pout Paints: Swatches and Review




 Shades (Clockwise from top): Cloud 9; Pinkini; Milkshake; Peek-a-Bloo; Rosette; Minx.
Applied with: Crown Lip Brush
Price: £4.99 each.

I've seen a lot about the new Sleek Pout Paints lately and whilst having a mooch in Superdrug at the weekend I saw they were currently on a 3 for 2 offer, with this in mind I snapped up four shades plus the two 'mixing' colours.


There are 11 shades to chose from, including Cloud 9 which is a white paint used to lighten colours and Peek-a-Bloo which is a blue paint used to add depth and warmth to shades. In a way only I can, I went from the four most similar shades!



The paints have a precise little nozzle and as with all products of this nature, you only need the tiniest amount.


Believe it or not, the top picture was taken in exactly the same light as the others... strange camera.

The first thing I will say about the Pout Paints is they can be bloody awkward to apply! I'd like to think I have a pretty good technique when it comes to making up my lips but you'd never see it in the above pictures! The packaging says to apply the product directly to your lip brush but as always, I opted for the back of my hand; I can only imagine the mess I'd have made had I applied it as directed!

The pigmentation is a little hit and miss; whilst Rosette, Pinkini, Minx and Peek-a-Bloo were all very opaque, I found Milkshake to be watery and streaky. Whilst the other shades certainly have a good deal of 'slip' to them and apply easily, Milkshake just would not stay in place nor enable me to build an opaque colour and I noticed Cloud 9 is of a similarly watery consistency and also streaks. Has anyone else had this issue or did I buy a dud? 

I've tried these out a few times now and they've got pretty good staying power and they smell divine. They don't feel drying on the lips however it takes a good 10-15 minutes before I feel secure that the product has 'set' and won't slip all over the place. 

For anyone wanting to mix a unique lip shade for a night out or a photo shoot or whatever, the Sleek Pout Paints are a great bargain buy; the range of shades on its own is excellent and there is no limit to the colours you can create -- I would suggest you keep colour theory in mind however as I got a bit mix happy and came up with about 10 shades of purple due to my over enthusiasm with Peek-a-Bloo!

Positives

  • Range of shades
  • Good staying power
  • They smell divine
  • They're fun!
Negatives

  • There doesn't seem to be any consistency with the erm, consistency of the products Ive tried
  • They're awkward to apply - not great if you're in a rush
  • You can buy a lipstick for the same price and save on the fuss 

Overall I think they're a fun product and they're good for what they are however I doubt many people will want to fuss about mixing shades or painstakingly applying this with a brush for a night out when you can buy a lipstick for the same price and know that you're good to go all night.

If you've tried the Sleek Pout Paints, let me know what you think :)

Vicky xoxo



2 comments:

  1. I've got the same problem with Milkshake, streakiness-wise, but I find blotting between layers means I can build it up nicely :) You have gorgeous lips! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't thought of blotting it and then layering, I'll give that a go. Thanks for the tip :) x

    ReplyDelete